LATEST PAPER
43° Good Morning
43° Good Morning
News

Far Rockaway house fire that left 2 women dead caused by power strip, FDNY says

“Extreme clutter” also contributed to the blaze, officials said.

Two women died in a house fire on

Two women died in a house fire on Wheatley Street in Far Rockaway on Monday. Photo Credit: Howard Schnapp

A fire that killed an elderly woman and her daughter in a Queens home Monday was caused by a fully loaded power strip and “extreme clutter,” according to the FDNY.

The fatal blaze started on the first floor of the two-story house on Wheatley Street, near Brunswick Avenue in Far Rockaway shortly after 4 a.m. on Monday, an FDNY spokesman said.

The women, 88-year-old Jessie Danzy and her daughter, 77-year-old Andrea Afam, were taken to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital in critical condition, but they later died, police said.

The fire was placed under control just after 6 a.m., the FDNY said. One firefighter suffered a minor injury, a spokesman said.

News photos & videos